Sunday, March 30, 2008

They won't let us leave!

So I was supposed to be back in St. Paul on Sunday evening...but instead it's Sunday Morning US Time (5pm local time), and I am in Paris Hilton...I mean the Charles DeGaulle Hilton Hotel, after the 2nd flight screw-up. Let me re-cap:

1) Leave for Moscow Airport to board plane to London and then to Chicago. Our original itinerary had us going through Frankfurt. Expedia neglected to tell the Russian airline that. We get to the airport and they say "sorry, you should have been on a plane to Frankfurt 3 hrs ago." We spend the next 8 hours with the cream of Russian personalities, very unhelpful and unsympathetic to our plight...can't get a phone to work, but manage to get Alison's uncle to ream out Expedia and get us on some other flights. In order to do that, we have to hire a taxi to take us to the other side of Moscow to the other airport and hop on a British Airways flight to London.

2) Arrive in London at the brand spanking new Heathrow Terminal 5. Spend the night in a coffee shop in the terminal. We are to board a flight for Paris at 10:45am and a flight to Chicago at 2:50.

3) While surfing the internet I discover that someone purchased an iPod on my Amazon account. Make some international calls to Amazon and my bank to pass the time.

4) Did I mention that this new terminal has had the worst SNAFU in the history of baggage handling? 15,000 misplaced bags have piled up since the terminal opened on Tuesday. As a result, our flight to Paris is delayed 90 minutes. We fear that we'll miss our flight to Chicago.

5) Land in Paris. Dash to gate. Watch plane taxi away without us. Weep openly.

5) Get put up in the Hilton hotel for the night, where I write this e-mail. I should be nearing St. Paul in my car right now...instead I'm in the airport hotel in Paris. Tomorrow we leave at 2:40 for Chicago, and will drive straight home. I'm exhausted...

The trip however, was amazing. More details once I am back on US Soil.

Au revoir!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Expedia is a scam. Source: http://www.expedianews.com

Ryan and Max's Mama said...

Hooray for Chargebacks and Fraud protection. This is the sort of thing that keep me in a job. Well, sort of. I am really sorry that you got stuck! good luck on the rest of the trip. At least it's something you can tell your grandkids about. :)

Colin said...

"Made some calls to Amazon and my bank to pass the time."

Absolutely classic. I can't wait for my new ipod to arrive.

I Voted in 89.3 The Current's Top 89 Albums of 2007