Saturday, February 14, 2009

Right up my Alley

My beloved Midwinter teacher's convention was marred by a lovely head cold. This has happened before...I think my body senses that I am getting ready to relax for a couple days and says "...not so fast!" Still had a decent time though. The experience for me is no doubt different from a lot of district teachers. You see them walking around in their packs, making lots of noise...and then there are folks like me who are the lone wolves, the only music teacher in their school. Sometimes I can't wait to have another music teacher to have someone to commiserate and collaborate with, and sometimes I enjoy my status as "the music guy," because it is totally and completely mine.

Went to 1/2 Price Books last night and found a fascinating read, "Baseball and Philosophy: Thinking Outside the Batter's Box." It really places baseball as a thinker's game. It contains a bunch of essays related to philosophical baseball situations and the grander ideas behind them. Such as: discussing "Home plate," and the whole concept of "home." Or the contraction of the MN Twins and Utilitarianism. Or my favorite so far: faith and Cubs fans. It's pretty great.

1 comment:

Jill said...

Hey Pat! It's good to see you blogging with more frequency. That book seems really interesting. Who wrote it? I'd like to send it to my bro in Iraq.

I Voted in 89.3 The Current's Top 89 Albums of 2007